If your loved one needs continued care after an injury or illness, you’re likely scouting out the rehabilitation facilities in your area.
“Start with your local senior living communities,” says Barbara Keller, Vice President of Marketing and Sales at Peter Becker Community. “That way, your loved one will not only receive comprehensive care, but will benefit from an experienced interdisciplinary team’s knowledge and expertise as well as be given opportunities for social interaction.”
Keep reading to learn more about how to choose a short-term rehabilitation center for your family member or loved one.
What Is Short-Term Rehabilitation?
Short-term rehabilitation is individualized support for seniors who need to recover or restore physical strength, cognition or mobility after a surgery, stroke, illness, or injury, which usually follows a hospital stay.
Short-term rehabilitation offers around-the-clock services, which include medical care, nursing care, therapies, and personal support. Stays can last a couple of days or up to a few months depending on the severity of the illness. Afterward, with assistance of discharge planning, seniors can transition back home, move into independent living or assisted living, or decide to enter long-term care.
Quality Care Services and Therapies
As you determine the best choice for short-term rehabilitation, you’ll want to look into the sorts of services a center provides and compare them with your loved one’s needs.
Common therapies of rehabilitation are:
- Physical Therapy – Treatment to improve mobility, increase activity level, decrease pain, and prevent permanent disability.
- Occupational Therapy – Treatment to address the ability to complete day-to-day activities, including strategies to better perform ADLs like dressing, bathing, and cooking.
- Speech Therapy – Treatment to improve communication skills and remedy issues with swallowing.
- Respiratory Therapy – Treatment to improve lung capacity and breathing.
At Peter Becker Community, the emphasis of our short-term Rehabilitation program is two-fold: We want to restore patient mobility and help guests regain a high level of function and independence.
We implement physical, occupational, and speech therapies in order to improve, maintain, and restore physical strength, cognition, and mobility. We also enlist services of a physiatrist (doctor of rehab medicine) who sees our residents on the premises.This way, patients can return to their homes as soon as possible and continue their preferred lifestyle.
Firsthand Experience of Senior Living
For some seniors, this glimpse into senior living could be what convinces them to move into a Continuing Care Retirement Community.
No matter the medical conditions or personal care they need, there’s a place for your loved one at Peter Becker Community. Our Residential Living is perfect for active, older adults. For those who require care, our continuum of care includes Personal Care, Skilled Nursing, Memory Care and Hospice Care.
Since short-term Rehabilitation is on the same campus as our other levels of care, guests are able to experience our unique community life with countless services and amenities.
- Fitness rooms and wellness studio
- Crafts studio
- A variety of dining options and venues
- Garden labyrinth
- Beauty/barber shop
- Life Enrichment Activities, including entertainment
- Weekday on-campus shuttle
- Weekly transportation to local shopping
- Interior and exterior maintenance
- Response call system, including individual pendants
Additionally, your loved one can participate in our activities and community-run groups for social, recreational, and educational purposes.
Questions To Ask a Rehabilitation Center To Find a Good Fit
Likely, your decision will come down to an interview with a representative from the rehabilitation center. If short-term rehabilitation is recommended by your loved one’s physician, ask them to describe the type of care needed after they leave the hospital.
Once you have feedback from your loved one and their doctor, here are some standard questions to ask the community:
- What sorts of rehabilitation services do you provide?
- What percentage of patients achieve their rehabilitation goals?
- Do you have a continuum of care, and what does it include?
- What social opportunities are available at your community?
- Do you assist with discharge planning?
- What is the average length of stay at your community?
- Do you have physician services available 24 hours per day?
- What are your staffing levels?
Compassionate Care at Peter Becker Community
Peter Becker Community provides comprehensive short-term Rehabilitation services in Harleysville, Pennsylvania. Our specially trained, interdisciplinary team provides top-of-the-line senior care. Our priority is to assist you in achieving your goals for a successful transition to home or an alternate level of care.
Contact us today for more information about our Rehabilitation services.